Tuesday 1 May 2012

Prepare to be bitten!

If there is one movie that I am dying to see this year it is Dark Shadows. For me, there are three must-see reasons for this:

1. It is a Tim Burton film. I have never found a film of his that wasn't enjoyable on some level (even if I didn't like it) and I am anticipating some creepy and quirky dark comedy with this one. Plus, Johnny Depp and Tim Burton together is a dynamic duo.

2. The music will be by Danny Elfman, which means it will be lyrical and dark, whimsical and strident. Think I am wrong? Remember, this man scored for Alice in Wonderland, Nightbreed, Mission Impossible, Tales From the Crypt, Black Beauty, and the Batman movies to name a few. Yeah, this is going to be a must-have for a soundtrack.

3. And the final, but truly the most important reason, is that is a vampire movie. I love vampires. As a child they more my favourite monster (besides Godzilla, but that is a whole other genre) and I devoured every story that featured them. Nowadays there are some vampires I love more than others (I am NOT a Twilighter) but the passion for these fanged creatures remains.


That said, I will now be posting every day, until Dark Shadows is released, a short piece of writing on one of the many vampire-genre works that I enjoyed while growing up and, in all honesty, still enjoy today. I am going towards the not so common items and staying away from mainstream ones like Lost Boys, 30 Days of Night, Blade, and so on. They have their merits, but they are not the ones that have influence me.


As I go on feel free to respond with your own personal favourites; I am always open to new works!

No comments:

Post a Comment